I was so stumped on what to do for Easton’s first birthday. I just assumed I would follow his nursery theme like I did with Kinsley’s 1st birthday, but it was really really hard to get any motivation to get things started. Once the second one comes along, it’s super hard to keep up with all you did for the first kiddo. FINALLY, I made myself sit down and start searching for ideas and got to party planning.
With Easton’s cake I wanted to do something I had never done before. Sometimes making cakes gets boring when you do the same thing over and over again. So I decided to try something new. In fact, I ended up trying two new things. I played with molding rice crispy treats, and I did my first topsy turvy cake!
As I always do when trying something new, I went searching for tutorials. After finding and reading through a couple good ones I pinned them to my pinterest page so I could refer back to them once I got started.
One of the first things I did was find a general outline of a Dr. Seuss hat that I liked. I kept this outline to refer back to while molding the rice crispies, so I could get it the general shape I wanted. This was the general shape I found that I liked most: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/116671446570628803/ The hat definitely tried my patience, but folks, I am STUBBORN, and I refused to let it beat me. The first hat I did I covered it in all white and tried to paint on the stripes with food coloring. Let’s just say it looked preeeety bad. So, then I tried to cover my painted stripes with red fondant. It looked even worse having the red stand up higher than the white. SO I pulled it all off of the rice crispy mold and for some reason I thought I’d, once again, try to cover it in white and paint it on again with a little different type of mixture. It looked just as bad as attempt number one. By this point I was determined that it was going to look good because I hadn’t wasted this much time failing only for it to end up looking terrible. So I tried ONE more attempt. This time I cut individual red and white stripes out of already colored fondant, and individually wrapped each one around. In the seam between the red and white stripes I painted it black with food coloring and distressed it. IT FINALLY LOOKED GOOD!!! The only thing that I didn’t end up liking about the hat was that I meant for it to be about half the size that it was. It ended up looking huge on top of the cake. (There will always be SOMETHING I don’t like about my cakes. Always. That’s the life of a perfectionist.)
The next new thing I did was the topsy turvy look, and following this tutorial, came out perfect and was SUPER easy. I had NO idea that was how you did a topsy turvy cake before doing my research, and man I am glad I didn’t try to just stack them on there crazy and hope they stayed!
After getting the cakes baked, crumb coated, frosted, and stacked, I still had the bulk of the work left to do. Thankfully my momma (AKA Nina) was down for the party and stayed up super late and helped me. After cutting out and applying all the pieces I went around the cake with a paint brush and hand painted on all of the stitch lines.
Even though I had a difficult time getting the motivation to figure out the design for this cake, it actually ended up being a lot of fun to do. (Other than being up half the night, Ha.)
Here’s the cake:
A pic of my presh family:
…. and one of my sweet ONE year old with his smash cake. : ) Yep, he’s probably eating red dye #40. Haha.